This comprehensive 3-day course is designed to teach students advanced, in-depth procedures to use for testing and troubleshooting of fiber networks that support analog and IP data, voice, and video, circuits. It will include best practice techniques for continued operation and maintenance of fiber optic systems. As a prerequisite, students are expected to to be able to perform basic repairs on OSP and ISP style fiber cable.
Completion of this course will give Technicians a better understanding all aspects of how your fiber infrastructure operates independently and interfaces with with active equipment. Additionally, it focuses on the tools and equipment necessary test and troubleshoot your fiber network. Course material will focus on working with live singlemode and OM1 – OM4 multimode fiber networks used in today’s environments.
No Need For Field Trips!
Our training lab is fully equipped with live 10GbE switches, public address system, digital signage and POE security cameras. They all run on the same bend-Insensitive, OS2, singlemode fiber optic cable backbone. Students will be working with live fiber to test the network switches, analyze OTDR results and troubleshoot the fiber network using an OTDR and OLTS. Its the only fiber training network of its kind to test and troubleshoot live data, video and voice circuits! If you would like to use your own fiber test equipment, feel free to bring with you. It will be used alongside our own equipment during the hands-on lab training.
- Understanding uses and functionality of an OTDR and OLTS
- Differences between Tier 1 & Tier 2 testing to TIA/ISO/IEC standards and when to use each
- How to measure power from live circuits
- How and when to add loss to a fiber network
- Understanding power measurements relative to loss
- The importance of setting the correct IOR in an OTDR test
- Understanding a Gainer in an OTDR trace
- How to analyze OTDR traces
- How to analyze power and insertion loss test results
- How to identify failures in a fiber network
- How to calculate power and loss budgets
Students will perform the following tests using an OTDR and OLTS:
- End to end single test trace and analysis results
- Live end to end multiple trace and analysis results in real-time
- Bi-directional test
- Insertion loss (dB) and power (dBm) test using the PM module in an OTDR
- Live power measurement from a 10GbE SFP and analysis results
- End to end power measurement and link loss
- Connector loss
- Excessive cable bends
So Why Training From JM Fiber Optics?
The answer is simple. Our instructors have several years of “real-world” experience working in ISP and OSP environments specific to fiber optics. We not only teach you general practices set forth by industry standards, but we go well beyond. Training is taught specifically by our instructors and not inexperienced manufacturer representatives who call themselves instructors. JM Fiber Optics does not offer training without hands-on to support the classroom curriculum. Why is this important? Because you simply cannot gain the experience and education necessary to become a fiber optic technician by watching instructional videos on-line or reading general published “how to” information.
Don’t be fooled by cheap prices, on-line imitations and “traveling road show” training from a hotel conference room. Do like hundreds have done before you and train your staff the right way … the JM Fiber Optics way!